|Ray Ortlund is Senior Pastor at Christ Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee. Ray served as professor of Old Testament at Trinity Divinity School, Chicago, for nine years. He served pastorates in California, Oregon, and Georgia.
- The University of Aberdeen Scotland, Ph.D. in 1985
- The University of California, Berkeley. M.A. in Near Eastern Studies in 1978
- Dallas Theological Seminary, Th.M. in Old Testament in 1975
- Wheaton College, B.A. in Social Sciences in 1971
- 1998 - October 5, 2003: Senior Minister, First Presbyterian Church (PCA) Augusta, GA
- 1989-1998: Associate Professor of Old Testament and Semitic Languages, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- 1985-1989: Organizing Pastor, Cascade Presbyterian Church (PCA) Eugene, Oregon
- 1982-1985: Assistant Minister, Banchory-Ternan West Parish Church of Scotland
- 1975-1981: Pastoral staff, Peninsula Bible Church, Palo Alto, California
In addition to a number of essays and articles, Ray Ortlund, Jr. has published several books including:
- A Passion for God: Prayers and Meditations on the Book of Romans (Crossway, 1994)
- God's Unfaithful Wife, New Studies in Biblical Theology, edited by D.A. Carson (InterVarsity, 1996)
- When God Comes to Church: A Biblical Model for Revival Today (Baker, 2000)
- Supernatural Living for Natural People: Studies in Romans 8 (Christian Focus, 2001)
- Isaiah, Preaching the Word, edited by R. Kent Hughes (Crossway, forthcoming) 1986.
Dr. Ortlund has also been involved in numerous Bible publishing projects including:
- Writing the introduction and study notes for Obadiah in The New Geneva Study Bible, edited by R.C. Sproul
- Editing Psalms 76-150 in The New Living Translation
- Editing The Psalms for The English Standard Version
Ray and Jani Ortlund have been married for 31 years, and serve, wherever they are, as a ministry team. Jani sees her role as supporting Ray in his ministry and has used her gift of hospitality in regularly hosting new members for an evening in their home. In addition, Jani has a speaking and writing ministry of her own. Her book, Fearlessly Feminine, was published in 2000, and she is currently working on a second book on the Ten Commandments.
Ray and Jani have four children:
- Eric graduated from Trinity, and recently departed with his wife for study and ministry in Scotland.
- Krista is married to John Scheidt, and is living in Chicago, attending Moody Church
- Dane, and his wife Stacy, are preparing for the ministry at Covenant Seminary in St. Louis
- Gavin is a sophomore at the University of Georgia and plans to go to seminary
Ray is the son of Ray, Sr. and Anne Ortlund, who minister around the world primarily to pastors, missionaries, churches and Christian organizations. Ray, Sr. and Anne have written numerous books together over their years of ministry including Three Priorities for a Strong Local Church, and Up with Worship. Ray has written Lord, Make My Life a Miracle and Anne is the author of Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman among many others. Ray Ortlund, Sr. was pastor of Lake Avenue Congregational Church for 20 years, and the speaker for the Haven of Rest radio program for 17 years. Anne has written numerous hymns for the church.